Large amounts of waste are produced in kitchens and gardens every day.
Compostable waste is collected separately, converted to biogas in a fermentation plant, and made into compost at a central composting facility.
The following materials may be placed in the compostable waste collection:
- Raw-food and garden waste
- Coffee grounds, tea leaves
- Flowers, plants, Christmas trees, tree-limbs, twigs, roots, lawn cuttings, leaves
What should not
be disposed of as compostable waste?:
- Synthetic and clay containers
- Leftover foods and cat litter (salt content resp. hygiene) belong in the regular trash
- Ashes (dampened and packed in leakproof bags) belong in the regular trash
+ For questions regarding compost collection Shredding service
A shredding service (Häckseldienst) for mid-sized garden waste (branches, shrubs, etc.) is organized twice a year, in the spring and fall, by the road department. Application can be made at the Lucerne City Abfalltelefon (041 208 78 70). Composted earth
Can be obtained from the City Nursery (Stadtgärtnerei), Riedstrasse, Monday through Saturday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Bring your own container. Small amounts are free of charge.